I’ve noticed that several of my followers are Miyazaki fans, so I thought I share this little tidbit of information with you about Spirited Away.
I always wondered why the symbol “ゆ” (said “yu”) was on the door to the bath house. I asked my Japanese teacher, and he wasn’t too sure so I did a little research.
The symbol is used on the entrance to 温泉 (onsen) and 銭湯 (sento), or Japanese bath houses. The word “yu” is translated to “hot water”. So, makes sense to be on a bath house, yes?
Then I did more reading. During the Edo period, these public baths became popular for men because of women who started working at these communal baths, washing men and selling sex. These bath houses were called “yuna baro”. The woman were known as 湯女, or “yuna”. This directly translates to “hot water woman”. So basically, they were brothels. Guess what the woman who ran this bath house would be called?
(translates directly to “hot water old woman”)
Yubaba is the name of the woman who runs the bath house in Spirited Away. If you watch Spirited Away in Japanese, the female workers are referred to as yuna.
Chihiro was forced to change her name to Sen. Kinda like how strippers get names like “Candy”.
カオナシ/No-Face keeps offering Chihiro money. He “wants her”.
THEN I read interviews with Miyazaki. This was all put in intentionally. As we all know. Miyazaki’s stories are weaved with different themes and metaphors. He said he was tackling the issue of the sex industry rapidly growing in Japan, and that children being exposed to it at such early ages is a problem.
To me, this makes me respect Miyazaki even more as a film maker.
And also, frustrates me because so much gets lost in translation, and people see it as this cute childrens movie and this “master piece of animation” (which it definately is) instead of the real statement that it is.
Thought I’d share :).
I told this to my Japanese teacher today. He was speechless for a bit and then said “I NEED TO WATCH THAT MOVIE AGAIN OBVIOUSLY.” Haha.
MIyazaki’s films are laced with these things. its why I love them. They can be so intensely controversial yet so many of us just don’t know.
Posted on Thursday, 20 September
Reblogged from: bladeburner01
Posted by: cering-deactivated20140202
- tbhidkhbu reblogged this from stphe
- not-a-british-kid likes this
- jhaeheey reblogged this from dammiterielle
- jhaeheey likes this
- blogishthing likes this
- gabbiegonzales likes this
- dammiterielle reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- pepperhusband reblogged this from 93476893748939 and added:
- toouryesterday reblogged this from czajnik
- stashiinsanity reblogged this from cortisolandcupcakes
- ikilledtheteendream reblogged this from fallenangel2007
- cortisolandcupcakes reblogged this from fallenangel2007
- 3eyesamurai reblogged this from fallenangel2007
- 8-dreamy-8 likes this
- fallenangel2007 reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- fallenangel2007 likes this
- carneliane likes this
- oneshortdamnfuse likes this
- memmun likes this
- czajnik reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- bethheartsbooks likes this
- wildhogs2007 likes this
- beiurt likes this
- thequeenofthedamned likes this
- anarchistpizzahut reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- anarchistpizzahut likes this
- why-cant-i-just reblogged this from niuniente
- rain-rage reblogged this from ichinitsuite
- julesbox likes this
- goukuns likes this
- rikyeo likes this
- sofasauce reblogged this from cloudjumpervalka
- llialoveu likes this
- iellainc reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- eightbitgirls likes this
- disinclinations likes this
- sailor-sonic likes this
- grasshoppa reblogged this from niuniente
- futurible reblogged this from bethinsko
- x-reflectivememories-x likes this
- chanyeolstanktop reblogged this from jonginsunderwear
- jonginsunderwear reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- simonmriley likes this
- bookbookiebook reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- bookbookiebook likes this
- protodile likes this
- hepburnedsuntorytime likes this
- msifob reblogged this from free-radical-feminism and added:
- free-radical-feminism reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- futurible likes this