I’ve noticed that several of my followers are Miyazaki fans, so I thought I share this little tidbit of information with you about Spirited Away.
I always wondered why the symbol “ゆ” (said “yu”) was on the door to the bath house. I asked my Japanese teacher, and he wasn’t too sure so I did a little research.
The symbol is used on the entrance to 温泉 (onsen) and 銭湯 (sento), or Japanese bath houses. The word “yu” is translated to “hot water”. So, makes sense to be on a bath house, yes?
Then I did more reading. During the Edo period, these public baths became popular for men because of women who started working at these communal baths, washing men and selling sex. These bath houses were called “yuna baro”. The woman were known as 湯女, or “yuna”. This directly translates to “hot water woman”. So basically, they were brothels. Guess what the woman who ran this bath house would be called?
(translates directly to “hot water old woman”)
Yubaba is the name of the woman who runs the bath house in Spirited Away. If you watch Spirited Away in Japanese, the female workers are referred to as yuna.
Chihiro was forced to change her name to Sen. Kinda like how strippers get names like “Candy”.
カオナシ/No-Face keeps offering Chihiro money. He “wants her”.
THEN I read interviews with Miyazaki. This was all put in intentionally. As we all know. Miyazaki’s stories are weaved with different themes and metaphors. He said he was tackling the issue of the sex industry rapidly growing in Japan, and that children being exposed to it at such early ages is a problem.
To me, this makes me respect Miyazaki even more as a film maker.
And also, frustrates me because so much gets lost in translation, and people see it as this cute childrens movie and this “master piece of animation” (which it definately is) instead of the real statement that it is.
Thought I’d share :).
I told this to my Japanese teacher today. He was speechless for a bit and then said “I NEED TO WATCH THAT MOVIE AGAIN OBVIOUSLY.” Haha.
MIyazaki’s films are laced with these things. its why I love them. They can be so intensely controversial yet so many of us just don’t know.
Posted on Thursday, 20 September
Reblogged from: bladeburner01
Posted by: cering-deactivated20140202
- wandong likes this
- cecekimmmm likes this
- chizuya reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- cyyyyyy likes this
- 0181cm likes this
- extinct-serpent reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- bubblegum-popp reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- toujoursmal likes this
- smntkh reblogged this from uhmk
- smntkh likes this
- arielaxxi likes this
- uhmk reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- acetyleni reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- goddessseleene reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- paokid reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- searchingforshinzo likes this
- miurathreebays reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- miurathreebays likes this
- ashurata likes this
- lsd-unicorn reblogged this from sharro-chan
- sharro-chan reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- sharro-chan likes this
- relianceunknown reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- across-the-wire likes this
- goddammit-corvo likes this
- whitneyzombie reblogged this from valelucia
- haimtv reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- valelucia reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- shineonyoucraazydiamond reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- anistxr likes this
- jazzdahooligan reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- 1sarangaboonation reblogged this from xo-dollface
- xo-dollface reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- tbhidkhbu reblogged this from stphe
- not-a-british-kid likes this
- jhaeheey reblogged this from dammiterielle
- jhaeheey likes this
- blogishthing likes this
- gabbiegonzales likes this
- dammiterielle reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki
- pepperhusband reblogged this from 93476893748939 and added:
- toouryesterday reblogged this from czajnik
- stashiinsanity reblogged this from cortisolandcupcakes
- ikilledtheteendream reblogged this from ouijaboard1999
- cortisolandcupcakes reblogged this from ouijaboard1999
- 3eyesamurai reblogged this from ouijaboard1999
- 8-dreamy-8 likes this
- ouijaboard1999 reblogged this from hayao-miyazaki and added:
- ouijaboard1999 likes this
- carneliane likes this